Cannabis is a very sensitive crop. A cannabis greenhouse design is very technical. Many equipment are therefore needed to control the inner climate: lighting, dehumidification, cooling, heating, blackout screens… The investments and the energy consumption are very high.
Cannabis greenhouse design
1. Design your cannabis greenhouse with Hortinergy
Hortinergy assists you in designing an energy efficient greenhouse with an optimal climate. You will be able to define the best equipment configuration in order to reduce your energy cost.
It’s easy to make your cannabis greenhouse design project online worldwide.
- Enter the input parameters: greenhouse dimensions, screens, equipment and climate settings,
- Hortinergy models the inner climate,
- Hortinergy will simulate the energy consumption.
You can estimate the impact of many parameters and compare the scenarios:
2. Climate settings and modelling in a cannabis greenhouse
In a cannabis greenhouse, you want to control temperature, humidity, solar radiation and air velocity. Hortinergy implements these climate settings parameters:
For instance, you can fill in the temperature and humidity setpoints
Secondly, Hortinergy will simulate the inner climate on an hourly basis during a typical year.
Hortinergy models the transpiration of cannabis taking into account the development of the crop and the inner climate: temperature, humidity, solar radiation, assimilation lighting, air speed…
We show as an example a glass greenhouse
- located in Ontario, Canada,
- roof: transparent glass cover, blackout screen and thermal screen,
- side walls: opaque,
- assimilation lighting,
- cooling and dehumidification system.
We show the inner climate during an average day in May. The temperatures are in Celsius degrees .
3. Supplemental light design in a cannabis greenhouse
You can design the supplemental lighting system of your greenhouse.
- HPS and LED supplemental lighting,
- Solar radiation transmitted through the transparent cover and reaching canopy,
- Assimilation lighting required based on regulatory set points:
- Day Light Integral (DLI),
- or a fixed monthly schedule,
- Electricity consumption,
- Impact on the inner climate and energy consumption:
- sensible heat generated by light,
- latent heat (evapotranspiration) generated by the crop due to light.
The calculations are performed on an hourly basis during a typical year.
You will estimate your electricity consumption by taking into account the different parameters of your assimilation lighting system.
Then Hortinergy simulates the solar radiation reaching the canopy and the additional assimilation lighting required.
Hortinergy also shows electricity consumption and expenses.
4. Heating system and energy consumption in a cannabis greenhouse design
Hortinergy simulates the energy consumption of the greenhouse. The results are the hourly heating demand and a monthly overview of the energy consumption.
5. Closed or sealed greenhouse
The results are a table with the monthly summary and an Excel file with the hourly data.
6. Semi-closed greenhouse
The results are:
- The inner climate, including external air-flow and water consumption as shown above
- The required heating as presented before
- Electricity and water consumption: a table with the monthly overview and an Excel file with hourly data.
With Hortinergy, you can simulate screens, semi-closed greenhouse, energy consumption, sustainability, cannabis greenhouse, supplemental lighting, and calculate carbon tax rebate. We also provide trainings on energy consumption to become a greenhouse designer.
Our consulting company Agrithermic can also support you in the design and calculation.